6/27/12

Thanks for Your Support

So many of you rocked the race this weekend. Not only is that an outpouring of your support emotionally & spiritually but those monies go to fund research on breast cancer.

I have a personal reason for thanking you this year....
my mom, who has fought breast cancer & thank God has won; but sadly lost her mom to cancer (when her mom was only 28 & my mom was only 5).

Last summer, we underwent genetic counseling, with a very brilliant Dr Suzanne Mahon. I learned a few months ago, that my chances of getting breast cancer, were up to 51%. This was figured between family history & my own issues with past biopsies & cysts.

It didn't take me long to say YES to a prophylactic bi lateral mastectomy, as my entire life I've been "waiting for the shoe to drop" & get breast cancer. Never meeting my precious grandmother, knowing she lost her super young life to cancer, well... that'll for sure cause you to worry everything your breast exam comes up with an 'uh--oh'.

So, Monday I underwent surgery. I had both breasts removed. And while I'm continuing to be called 'brave' & 'strong', I think I would've been foolish not to do this. I have an awesome God who cares for me & a list longer than Florida, of family & friends-like-family who are caring for me & loving on me.
And you... your wishes & your support.

So thank you.

3 comments:

Tina said...

You are amazing Amy! Take care of yourself and I hope to see you at zumba soon!! Hugs!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are brave and strong. I would have done the same thing in your situation. LOVE YOU
MeShell:)

Kim said...

You are SO strong Amy!!! Praying for you to make a speedy recovery!!! Love ya!